The technical name for Goraka is ‘’Garcinia Cambogia’’. It belongs to the Clusiaceae family. Goraka is yellow in shade when it is fully grown and green when it is raw; it also looks like a small pumpkin. Goraka plant is a tiny green tree with blossoms, sessile and axillary.
The technical name for Goraka is ‘’Garcinia Cambogia’’. It belongs to the Clusiaceae family. Goraka is yellow in shade when it is fully grown and green when it is raw; it also looks like a small pumpkin. Goraka plant is a tiny green tree with blossoms, sessile and axillary.The Goraka crust is dried up in fire (as it will improve the shelf life) and is made ready for home use and storage.
Goraka is an acid seasoning frequently used in Srilankan catering. It is an important and a welcome constituent in preparing ambulthiyal fish and meat curries. Goraka extort is the calcium salt of hydroxycitric acid (HCA), which is acquired from water extort of Garcinia cambogia fruit.
Goraka grows in moist forests, in Srilanka Goraka is grown in low land rainforests (Sinharaja forest, kanneliya, Viharakele, Nikayadeniya). In countries like Africa, India and Southeast Asian countries grow Goraka for its fruit. Goraka is acerbic and fruity.
There are numerous health benefits of Goraka.
1. Goraka is a fruit
2. It is a natural meat tenderizer
3. It is also called Garcinia gummy-gatta, kattcha pulli(souring fruit), Kokam, black deshi, cocumful, fish tamarind
4. If glycogen stores are full, additional carbohydrates are converted to fat.
Hydroxycitric acid blocks up this process and helps to prevent added fat getting stored in the body.
|Protein||Total Mineral||Carbohydrate||Energy per 100g|
|Energy per 100g:|
66.2 k cal / 277 kj
Rich in hydroxycitric acid and ascorbic acid(Vitamin C)
Recipe for Ambul Thiyal Fish (The Famous Srilankan Dish)
Fish 500 gm.
Onion (Sliced) 1 Large
Fenugreek seeds ½ TSP
Cardamom pods 3
Coriander Powder ½ TSP
Cumin Powder ½ TSP
Roasted Curry Powder ½ TSP
Whole Pepper 1 TSP
Chili powder ½ TSP
Cinnamon Stick 1 medium stick
Curry leaves 1 Sprig
Ginger Garlic Paste 2 TBS
Salt 1/2 TSP
*Goraka 2 Pieces
Ghee or oil 3 TBS
Lime juice 1 TBS
Water to cover the fish
– Wash the fish with lime and set aside.
– Grind all the above ingredients to make Ambul Thiyal paste. Add little water when you grind the paste. Set aside.
– Heat pan and add ghee or oil and temper with fenugreek seeds, cardamom pods and cinnamon sticks.
– Add the ginger garlic paste curry leaves, and onion sauté for 1-2 minutes until onions turn to light brown.
– Add chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and roasted powder along with salt.
– Add water along with tamarind juice and bring to boil
– Heat another pan and add ghee.
– Add the washed fish slowly and cook for 1 minute.
– Add the gravy to the Ambul Thiyal paste and pour into the fish.
– Mix well until fish get coated well with the paste.
– Simmer until all the gravy has reduced and the fish pieces are quite dry about 10 minutes
– Serve with red rice or kiribath.